Watching movies with Samsung Gear VR is just a next level experience in the world of virtual reality. Imagine how exciting it is to watch a movie like your superhero is performing all the exciting actions right in front of you. Just follow this step by step guide to watch your favorite movie on Samsung Gear VR.
Table of Contents
Before we proceed further, let’s have a look at the list of best virtual reality movies (VR movies)
Virtual Reality Movies – VR Movies
|VR Movies||Watch Now|
|The Simulation Hypothesis|
|Virtual Encounters, Vol. 2|
|Adventures in Odyssey: Escape From the Forbidden Matrix|
|Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman|
|The Living Ocean|
|Spy Kids 3: Game Over|
1. Pre-requisites Check
Is your Samsung phone compatible with Samsung gear VR? Here is the list of compatible devices:
- Samsung Galaxy S7
- Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 5
- Samsung Galaxy S6
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus
Plugin Samsung galaxy VR in your device. Setup installation initiates automatically. Create an account for experiencing the virtual reality headsets to their fullest.
Free RAM memory
Close all the other apps on your mobile. This will free the space for smooth device functioning.
Sit comfortably. Stay away from sharp objects and places where there is a risk of falling or getting hurt.
2. Movie Selection
Select the Movie
The movie of your choice and download it in your mobile phone.
Check format of the Movie
The aforementioned formats are supported. If you have selected a 3D movie for watching then it must be SBS (side-by-side).
Check Quality of the Video
Download 720 pixels quality video for a better experience.
Organize movie folders
This step is necessary because you need to organize movies manually in the specific 2D and 3D folders.
3. Image Quality Optimization
- Clean your gear VR screen using microfiber cloth e.g. the one you use for cleaning spectacles. You can also use special cleaners available in the market. You can get the complete kit here.
- According to your eye sight, adjust the focus of the Samsung gear VR. Use the +/- wheel provided on the top of Samsung gear VR headset for this purpose. [Maximum (+) being for the perfect eyesight.]
- Adjust the virtual reality headset on your head. Move it forward or backwards with your hands. Set the position where you feel comfortable and your vision is clear. Check vision by focusing on a word for better results.
- Adjust the back straps of the VR headsets. Check that the strap is neither too loose nor too tight. Adjust the strap according to your comfort level.
4. Features of Samsung VR Headset
Go through the user manual provided with the Samsung gear VR headset. Know the features of the product and how to use them for your benefit.
A basic guide related to features is as follows:
- Right hand side of the Samsung gear VR is provided with touch pad controller.
- Swipe up, down, right and left on the controller to choose an option.
- Tap the center of the controller to select the chosen option.
- Click return button (above controller) once to go back. Hold for three seconds to return to the main menu.
Now your Samsung VR headset is all set for playing your favorite movie. Next steps will guide you through the enormous choices available for movies in the VR headset. Samsung gear VR enables you to watch not only downloaded movies but also movies on Netflix, YouTube etc.
Samsung gear VR comes with a built in Netflix VR app. Perform these simple steps to start your experience:
- Attach your mobile phone in its socket on the Samsung gear VR.
- Navigate to the Netflix app in the Samsung gear VR environment.
- Select the app (tap center of touch pad controller). The device will ask for installation permission. Click on accept and complete the installation.
- Sign up for the Netflix account. If you already have an account, then select login option.
- Select the mode. In Netflix VR app two modes are available for watching movies; Standard mode & Void mode
Enjoy your Netflix and chill!
Video quality is limited while watching movie from YouTube on VR headsets. This problem is due to non-availability of app. So, how to watch YouTube videos then? The answer is “Samsung Internet”.
- Go to Library.
- Select Samsung Internet app.
- Go to the website www.youtube.com.
- Search the movie of your choice.
- Tap controller to maximize the Video pane and select 2D, 3D or 360 video
7. Oculus Video
Samsung gear VR comes with the built-in, pre-installed app of Oculus video. It is the best way of watching movies with the gear VR headsets. Here you can watch movies ranging from Facebook 360 videos to your own downloaded videos.
- Look for Oculus video app in the Samsung gear VR environment.
- Open the app by tapping the center of the controller.
- Navigate to Facebook or Vimeo or any other video you like to watch.
- Select the theater mode. The one you think suits your environment.
Enjoy your movie with the popcorn!
8. Downloaded Movies
Just follow these simple steps:
- Perform step two, explained above in this guide.
- Click here to check out the list of VR movies
- Place your movies in the /Oculus/movies/folder in your phone library.
- Copy the 3D and 360 movies in their respective folders.
- Connect your phone to the Samsung gear VR and Switch on the Samsung gear VR.
- Launch Oculus video app.
- Navigate to “My Videos” folder.
- Select the movie you have downloaded for watching. Enjoy!
Surely Samsung gear VR has revolutionized the concept of watching movies. It’s worth giving a try for at least once. We are sure you will not be able to stop yourself from using it again and again.