Xbox – Mac
As compared to Windows, Gaming on Mac has always been very basic. While there are few AAA games that you can play on Mac, the collection is not as broad as on Windows PC.
If you want to play Xbox games on your Mac, there are several ways to connect your Mac to your Xbox. If you want a cloud solution, you can also get an Xbox Game Pass membership.
In this post, we will go over:
- How to connect your Xbox to your Mac
- How to find your Xbox Mac address
So, without further ado, let’s get started.
How To Play Xbox Games on Mac?
One of our favorite ways to run Windows on Mac is through the latest version of Parallels.
It supports Xbox beta from the Windows store so you can use it to play Xbox games. However, to do this you’ll also need an Xbox Pass.
To enjoy the full Xbox experience on Mac you can also connect your controller to it via Bluetooth.
Besides Xbox games, installing Windows on Mac opens up a whole new world of opportunities. This way, you’ll be able to install PC-only apps and games on your Macbook.
It’s important to note that Parallels does not work well with Intel Macs. So, if you have one, we suggest you play Xbox games on it using some other way.
If you have an M1 Mac, you can use OneCast to stream Xbox games to macOS as well as connect your Xbox controller via USB or Bluetooth.
When testing out OneCast, we experienced no lag. However, the games were only in 1080p. Moreover, it only works for Xbox One.
But, you’ll be pleased to know that it is extremely easy to set up, and it offers a free trial for up to 14 days.
Here is how you can connect your Xbox to OneCast:
- First make sure your Xbox and Mac are connected to the same internet router
- Install the free version of OneCast and go to the DMG file downloaded
- Drag the OneCast app to your app folder
- Launch the app by clicking on the icon
- OneCast will automatically detect your Xbox and connect it to it
- Log in to the Xbox app with your Microsoft account
- Connect your Xbox controller and start playing
How To Find Mac Address on Xbox?
Where your Mac address is will depend on what Xbox console you own.
For Xbox One:
- Go to settings
- Select Network
- Go to advanced settings
- At the bottom of the screen, you will find a heading for Wired and Wireless Mac which will also be your Mac address.
If you own an Xbox Series S or X:
- Go to the settings page and find Network
- Select advanced settings
- You will find the Mac address under IP address.
Can I Use My Mac as a Monitor for Xbox?
If you don’t have a TV in your gaming studio, you can use your Mac as a monitor.
To do this:
- Go to the Xbox app on your Macbook
- Select connection from the bar on the left
- The Xbox app will search for the available Xbox console
- Select the console you want to connect
- Once you see new options such as streaming, the connection has been established.
There are laptops far better than Mac to play games on, but this doesn’t mean it’s not capable of running games at all.
They are designed with the concept of software optimization; therefore, they have little room for hardcore gaming. But, if you don’t have anything else, they can get the job done.
For the best experience on Mac, we suggest you go with a Macbook Pro with an M1 processor.
For more information on Xbox, you can also read our post here.