Are you thinking how to make virtual reality goggles? But, your plans are pending due to budget issues?
Well, we are here to provide you with a simple step guide. Following these steps you will be able to get your own VR goggles at cheap rate while also helping the environment as your waste material will get recycled in the process.
Google introduced the virtual reality headset in 2014. The step was taken to motivate users and to build interest in VR applications. After the inauguration, Google contract out the design specifications. VR games and other application are also available on play store.
Many companies have followed the idea and started making virtual reality goggles from cardboard. An example: being Coca cola.
- Cardboard cutter is required for cutting the cardboard in required pattern
- Scissors are needed for cutting design template etc
- Metallic ruler is required for bending the cardboard edges
- Cardboard sheet (2’x3’).Use preferably smooth cardboard. Instead of buying a new one utilize shoe box, pizza boxes available at home for maintaining budget. Material is also being recycles which is a good environmental aspect.
- Biconvex plastic lenses having focal length of 45mm and diameter 25mm. 37mm diameter lens can also be used. There is not a big difference in the quality of the image projected. Whatever is suitable for you is the best one to use.
- Copper foil. It will be used as conductor for touch screen system. Working with copper foil is tricky as it easily curls around itself and is difficult to handle.
- .25x.25x.1 inch piece of sponge. Take as good quality sponge as possible because it will be in direct contact with your mobile phone screen.
- Glue. Buy glue in both forms; stick as well as simple. Stick glue will be used for pasting template on the cardboard. Whereas the other will be used for joining cardboard together to form the main body of the goggles.
- Weak Velcro. Do not buy expensive strong Velcro as you need it for slightly holding your phone
- Printout of 5 page template. This design template will be used for making Virtual reality goggles.
Steps to make Virtual Reality Goggles
After collecting all these materials and tools you are now ready to make your very own Virtual Reality goggles at you home. Follow the below mentioned steps carefully.
1. Glue the Template
Glue the template on the cardboard and cutout the outside solid lines. Prefer glue stick because the template can be peeled off form the cardboard after completion. Cardboard is now divided in two large and two small pieces and a button. Avoid cutting any of the inner solid lines.
2. Fold the Pieces
Fold the pieces using the metallic ruler. Folding lines are drawn in the template with dotted line as shown below:
3. Fix All Parts
Fix all the parts together to make sure that the measurements are exact and the sides are perfectly fixed with each other. Cutting carefully will lead to better fitting of the sides with each other.
4. Cut the Inner Lines or Parts
Begin by cutting the circles outside very carefully. Cut in a manner that all of your parts are perfectly aligned with their counter parts. And all the circles are also aligned when you assemble or fold the headset. This is important to check because image quality will not be good. Instead of scissors, use cutter for cutting the curved edges.
5. Fix the Button
This is responsible for the touch feature of your VR goggles to function. Button is designed in the shape of a pyramid. Glue it with the shorter side outwards. Later on sponge will be attached above the short side for a smoother touch on the phone screen. Keep it ¼ inch back from the phone face side of the headset otherwise it will continuously be in contact with the cell phone screen.
6. Make it Presentable
Paint or draw designs on cardboard to make it look presentable. And neat its edges so, that they do not give a rough look. This step is necessary to perform at this stage because regardless of how carefully we work there is a chance that you can contaminate the lenses with paint. While doing this, do not paint the edges which need to be joined together.
7. Add Final Touches to the Touch Button
Paste the sponge with glue on top of the pyramidal button. Cut a piece of copper foil of the size of sponge width and attach it smoothly on the sponge. Take another 2’ strip and attach it from the top of the pyramid to the base. Another 5’ long strip and attach it from the base of the button to the flapping side which will act as your trigger for touch. Copper foil will take the current from your fingers touch.
8. Fix the Lenses in their Specific Holes
Keep the curved side of the lenses towards outside, the side which will be facing your phone face. Before the glue sets check that whether the lenses are fixed in the position when the VR headsets are joined or folded together. Their alignment is also important for a better focus of the image and its quality.
9. Join the Whole Assembly Together
Glue the inside of the phone face to the central layer. Upper section of the phone face is pasted with its outermost section using glue.
10. Attach Velcro and Rubber Band
Velcro purpose is to hold your phone and does this by holding the outer flap above your phone. And the rubber is responsible for providing friction so that your phone does not slide sideways.
11. Install Virtual Reality App
- Go to google play store app on your mobile file.
- Search for the VR apps.
- Install the app you like. One of the apps available is cardboard.
12. Fix Your Phone in the Phone Face
Using Velcro, fix your phone on your homemade VR goggle headset.
Enjoy watching your movies with homemade Virtual goggles now.
Do let us know about your experience in the comments.