Samsung released a new MilkVR mobile app on Google Play Monday night that plays back 360-degree videos in a kind of magic window mode, allowing users to look around by simply panning with their mobile phone.
Samsung’s New Milk VR
The latest addition to the list of supported devices is the new Milk VR app, which will be available on both Android and iOS platforms.
The Milk VR app allows users to view content from YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, Instagram, Flickr, Tumblr, and other sites within the Milk VR app itself.
360-Degree Video Playback
It also supports 360-degree video playback, so if you have an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive headset connected to your computer, you can use the Milk VR app to watch those videos as well.
Milk VR App: How Does It Work?
- To get started, download the Milk VR app onto your smartphone (iOS or Android) and then connect your phone to your PC via a USB cable.
- Once you’ve done this, launch the Milk VR app and select “Add Video” to begin playing back 360-degree videos.
- You’ll see a bar at the bottom of the screen showing how much battery life remains, and you’ll need to keep an eye on this while watching the video.
Once you’re finished viewing the video, you can either save it to your gallery or delete it entirely. If you choose to save it, you can share it through social media networks like Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest.
You can also play back videos from your camera roll, but they won’t appear in Milk VR unless you upload them to YouTube.
How Much Does Milk VR Cost?
If you want to try out Milk VR, you’ll need to purchase one of the following apps
- Samsung Milk VR ($2.99) – Available for iPhone and Android smartphones
- Oculus Go ($0.99) – Available exclusively for Oculus Rift headsets
- HTC Viveport Infinity ($9.99) – Available on Windows 10 PCs
- Google Daydream View ($39.99) – Available only on Android phones
Samsung Milk VR vs. Other Apps
There are plenty of other apps that let you view 360-degree videos. Some of these include:
- 360flyer ($4.99) – Available solely on iOS
- Vrse ($1.49) – Available on Android and iOS
- Video stitch ($5.00) – Available on Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows
- Virtual Reality Browser ($3.99) – Available as a standalone app or bundled with the Samsung Gear VR
So why should you pick Milk VR over all of these other options? Well, for starters, Milk VR works with any compatible device, including the Samsung Gear VR, Google Daydream View, and HTC Vive. In fact, Milk VR even works with the Oculus Go.
Milk VR offers some unique features that make it stand apart from its competitors.
Browse Directly from Gallery
For example, Milk VR lets you browse through photos and videos directly from your gallery without having to upload them to YouTube.
This means that you don’t have to worry about uploading files that aren’t optimized for the web, and you can easily access them later by simply searching for them.
Another feature that makes Milk VR stand out is the ability to search for specific keywords when browsing through your library of videos.
So instead of scrolling through hundreds of hours of footage looking for something specific, you can just type in a few words and instantly find exactly what you’re looking for.
Built in Browser
Finally, Milk VR includes a built-in browser that lets you quickly navigate between different websites, such as YouTube, Vimeo, Flickr, and more.
This means that you can easily switch between different types of content without having to leave the Milk VR app.
Can I Use Milk VR With My Phone?
Yes, you can use Milk VR with any phone that supports the WebGL standard. The Milk VR app requires an OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics card, which most modern devices support.
Milk VR also works with the Samsung Gear VR, the Google Daydream View, the HTC Vive, and the Oculus Go. If you own one of these headsets, you can download Milk VR right now and start enjoying immersive video experiences today.
How Do I Install Milk VR?
- To install Milk VR, first open up the Play Store on your phone or tablet.
- Then click on the “Search” button at the top of the screen, enter “Milk VR”, and select the Milk VR app from the list of results.
- Once installed, you’ll need to connect your phone or tablet to your computer via USB cable.
- On your computer, launch the Milk VR app, then tap on the “Connect” button located near the bottom of the screen.
Once connected, you’ll see a progress bar appear while Milk VR downloads the necessary files. When finished, you’ll see a message saying that Milk VR has been successfully installed. You can now disconnect your phone or tablet from your computer.
If you’ve already downloaded Milk VR, you should see a notification telling you that it was successfully installed. Tap on this notification to begin using Milk VR.
If you want to uninstall Milk VR, follow the same steps but choose the “Uninstall” option instead of “Install”.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Milk VR Safe?
Yes, Milk VR is safe to use. There’s no reason to be concerned about downloading malware or viruses because Milk VR doesn’t store any personal information on your device.
How Much Processing Power Does Milk VR Need?
The Milk VR app does require a lot of processing power, so if you’re running low on RAM, you may experience stuttering during playback.
However, Milk VR will automatically pause itself once you run out of memory, so you shouldn’t notice any performance issues.
How Much Does Milk VR Cost?
You can purchase Milk VR for around $4.99 USD (or an equivalent amount in other currencies) from the Google Play Store.
Does Milk VR Have Ads?
No, there are no ads in Milk VR.
The new Samsung Milk VR headset lets you use your smartphone as a virtual reality experience.
It doesn’t have enough processing power to run games well or even watch videos in 4K resolution. It can only play select apps on Android phones, and its battery life isn’t great.
If you have any questions feel free to comment below.