If you are a fan of virtual reality, you know that a good VR headset can take you on an immersive journey like no other. But have you ever tried using Skybox VR to explore your favorite movies, photos, and games in a whole new way?
In this article, we will show you how to use Skybox VR to its full potential. From setting up your device to accessing content from various sources, you will learn everything you need to know to get started.
First, we will introduce you to Skybox VR and its features. Then, we will guide you through the installation and setup process, followed by tips on how to stream and download content. Finally, we will show you how to customize your viewing experience to make it truly your own.
By the end of this article, you will be ready to immerse yourself in the world of virtual reality with Skybox VR.
Our Choice for the Best Virtual Reality Solution in June 2023
Our expert team tested a variety of VR solutions to find the one that provides the best value. After detailed comparisons and a month of testing, we picked this product as your best choice.
Important: You might want to check to see if the product’s available since it’s extremely popular and often gets sold out. If you check at the right time, you might even find a limited-time discount.
How to Use Skybox VR?
To use Skybox VR, follow the steps below.
- You can download the free app from iTunes or Google Play Store, and then you’ll be able to view the videos you’ve stored there.
- With AirScreen, you can use Wi-Fi to watch videos from your computer or smartphone.
- You’ll need to install the Skybox PC app on your computer before connecting the VR headsets to your computer. Make sure both the VR headsets you’re using, and your computer are both on the same network (Wi-Fi).
- Once you’ve done that, you can then open the PC client and either select a specific video or drag and drop your VR video folder to add them to the Skybox library.
- Once connected, click (or tap) on the “AirScreen” button on your computer screen to stream the video to your TV.
- You can then watch the VR movie from there.
Ready to dive into the world of virtual reality? Our step-by-step tutorial on setting up your VR headset will guide you through the process.
How to Get HTC Vive to Work with SkyBox VR Player?
If you want to follow the latest updates for installing Oculus Home and Revive, read the following steps. These let you use Mettle 360/VR Plugins in Premiere Pro and AfterEffects, with 360 previews through the HTC Vive.
It greatly accelerates workflow, is a more effective method for working, and
- Download Oculus Home from https://developer.oculus.com/. Skip the device configuration steps.
- Install Revive (https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases).
- Launch ReviveOverlay.
- Click on the Revive button and then click on the Inject option.
- Select “After Effects” and “Premiere Pro.”
- A new “Vive” output option should appear in the VR player menu. Select it.
How to Stream Videos or Movies to an Oculus Go Device Using a Computer or Mac?
With an Oculus Go, you don’t get much storage space for your content. Rather than copying everything from your computer to your Oculus, why don’t you watch things online instead? Here’s how to set up streaming.
Watching movies in a VR headset is an awesome experience because you get to be inside a giant virtual cinema where you can see everything from every angle.
However, that’s just the beginning because you can now watch 3D films that play in virtual reality (VR), and you can even watch full VR videos that allow you to see everything around you and truly feel like you’re there!
Do You Have a Plex Server? Just Use the Plex Client
If you’re a media-watcher who uses Plex, you probably already have a Plex Media Center setup. If so, you could just download the Plex app for Oculus Rift from the Oculus store.
Connecting to your Plex media player is one way to get started using Plex. It’s definitely our recommended option overall for organizing your movies.
If you’re interested in learning more about virtual reality, check out our comprehensive guide on the topic.
No Plex Server, or Want to Watch Videos Not in Plex? Use Skybox VR Player
Maybe you don’t really want to store your entire collection of Linux fan videos on your Plex server. Or perhaps you just don’t want to spend hours setting up a fully featured Plex server.
In either case, it’s much easier to simply download stuff onto your computer and then stream it to your Oculus go. Plus, it’s probably not like there’s tons of storage left on your Oculus go.
If you’ve got some videos that you downloaded to a computer and you want to play them through an Oculus Go, the best way to go about doing so is to use Skybox VR Player. It runs a small server piece on a computer or Mac, which allows you to add videos to it.
Then you can access them from the Oculus Go via its viewer piece.
You can use this method to create any video, whether it’s an immersive VR video, a 3D film, or even a regular 2D film that you want to watch inside a virtual cinema. It’s really simple to set up.
Setup Your PC or Mac with the Skybox Server
Setting up the SkyBox server on your PC or MAC is incredibly easy. You just need to download and run the server app. Once it’s running, click the “open” button. You can either upload individual movies or you can upload an entire directory of them. SkyBox also does a great job searching through subdirectories.
Once the movie files are all uploaded, they should appear in the list by their filenames. It may take a few minutes for them to be generated, but once they are ready, you’re done.
Install the Skybox VR Client on Your Headset
Once you’ve got the server set up, it’s time to get the client installed on your Oculus Go. Just go to the Oculus store, find the Skybox VR player, and download it.
Once it’s installed, go to the app store and download the AirScreen app. Then, when you launch the app, tap on the Airscreen icon at the bottom right corner of the screen. You’ll be able to see your computer’s name there.
After connecting, you should be able to see all of your video content. Click one to start playback.
How Does it Work?
To use SkyBox, just download the free app from the App Store or Google Play store. Then, connect your device to the same Wi-fi network as your computer. You can then view the videos stored on your device through the app.
- You’ll need to download the SkyBox PC client if you want to access the AirScreen feature.
- Once you’ve done that, make sure both the Oculus Rift headset you’re using and your computer are connected to the internet via the same Wi-Fi network.
- Then, after that, you can use your PC client to play any video from your VR video folder. You can also drag and move your entire VR video folder into the Skybox Video Player.
- From within SkyBox on either your computer or mobile device, go to the AirScreen page.
- Click—or touch—the “connect” button on your computer to stream from your smartphone.
From there, you can open the VR video and enjoy it away.
We hope this article was helpful to you. Feel free to reach out to us in the comments below.
Our experts have discussed about the latest technology including speakers, laptops and more so please make sure to check that out.