You might be wondering if you can take a screenshot in VR. In this article, we will tell you how to take a screenshot in VR.
Let’s find out!
How to Screenshot in VR?
To screenshot in VR follow these steps
- Open the app you want to take a screenshot of
- Press and hold on to your touchpad or trackpad (or whatever device you are using for input).
- Tap the power button at the top right corner of the screen.
- A menu will pop up with options like “Take Screenshot”, “Save Screenshot” etc.
If you own an Oculus Quest or Oculus Go, you may want to take advantage of its built-in screenshot feature. Fortunately, both devices allow you to record video clips of your gameplay.
Here, we walk through the steps to show what’s on your Oculus Go to others.
How to Take Screenshots on an Oculus Quest?
There are several ways to capture a screenshot on the Oculus Quest, but we’ll go through the best ones here.
If you ever need a screenshot without using your controller, you should be able to use hand tracking on your Quest.
- Pressing the button shortcut for taking a screenshot will open up the screenshot tool.
- To capture screenshots on your Quest, use the built-in buttons on both controllers.
- Hold down the Oculus buttons on each side of the headset, then press the triggers on either side of the headset while still holding down the Oculus buttons.
- When you capture a screenshot, you’ll first see an animation of the Oculus logo filling up in front of your eyes.
- Then, when you press the Oculus button, you’ll be able to take a picture.
- Make sure not to keep pressing the button for too long, otherwise, you’ll end up taking another photo.
Take a Screenshot Using Voice Commands
It has a voice assistant, which works similarly to Google Assistant or Siri, but it’s only available in English. However, it’s a useful tool for launching apps and more.
You can use your Oculus voice assistant to take screenshots too.
- Just tap the Oculus button on the left controller, then speak “Take a Screenshot” when the screen pops up.
- If you don’t already have an assistant enabled, you may need to enable it first by selecting the Clock icon from the main screen.
- Then, select the Other Icon option on the left side of the screen to access the Quick Menus section.
- From there, select the Voice Commands item to either turn them on or run a voice action.
- To configure how this function works, go to Settings > System > Voice Commands.
How to Capture Videos on the Oculus Quest?
If you want to share videos of yourself playing custom Beat Saber levels or capturing cool experiences for friends who don’t own a VR headset, your Quest headset can record these videos.
By default, you’ll see an indicator telling you when you’ve been recorded. You can turn off this feature if you’d prefer not to be notified.
To access these settings, open the Quick Menus icon (the three dots) at the top right corner of your display, then select Settings & Display.
Record From the Sharing Menu
- To capture screenshots, press the Oculus button on your left hand to open the main menu and select the Sharing panel.
- Then, look for the Screenshots section and click the “Capture” button.
- While you’re waiting for the video to start recording, click “Record Video” at the bottom of the page.
- Then, enable “Include mic audio” if you want the recording of the video to include your speech. Otherwise, it will just record the sounds from the game.
- To start recording, click Start Recording when you’re ready. Then, when you want to end the recording, return to the Sharing panel and choose Recording.
When playing games, these shortcuts for casting spells, taking screenshots, and starting recording also show up on the game’s panel where you press the Oculus buttons. This means they’re easier to access.
Use Voice Commands to Record Video Using Your Smartphone
If you need to use your Oculus Quest’s voice assistant, follow these instructions to turn it on.
You can then summon it any time and tell it to record by saying “record” and stop when you’re done by saying “stop recording”. If you don’t want to use your controller, see the link for Oculus hand tracking above.
You can also press the Oculus button once, then tap the Touchpad on the left controller, then tap the trigger again. This method works well if you’re taking a screenshot of something offscreen.
We hope that this article was helpful, if you have any queries feel free to reach out in the comments section below.