Steam is a video gaming platform created by Valve Corporation. It was launched in September 2003 as a means for Valve to distribute its own game content automatically and has since grown into a store for both Valve’s own and third-parties titles.
If you opt into the Steam client beta, you get access to the newest features first.
Let’s see how you can opt-out of Steam VR Beta.
How to Opt-Out of Steam VR Beta?
- Open the Steam app from your PC.
- Click the drop-down menu at the top right corner of the screen and choose Tools.
- Select SteamVR from the list of installed applications, and then click Properties.
- Click on the Beta tab.
- To choose which beta program you’d like to be opted into, click the drop-down menu next to “Beta” and then choose one from the list. You can always change your mind later by selecting “NONE.”
- Close the window, then let SteamVR update itself.
What Is SteamVR?
VALVE released a Steam expansion called SteamVR in March 2015. Designed by VALVE and HTC. This headset is one of the most innovative products for VR immersion.
SteamVR soon began support for other popular VR headsets, including Windows Mixed Reality Headsets, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and Valve Index.
It is actually a computer virtual reality platform provided by Steam, also known as Valve Software, which was founded in 1996 and is headquartered in Bellevue, Washington.
SteamVR can be installed on any system: Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, and it supports all PC VR headsets. You might already know it or not, but the runtime is downloaded and updated via Steam.
How to Enroll in the SteamVR Beta?
You can always reverse these changes if you find that Steam VR isn’t working correctly.
- Launch Steam from your start screen, desktop, or taskbar.
- Click on the library icon.
- Click Tools.
- Click SteamVR from the list of applications. It may take some time for SteamVR to load.
- Click Properties.
- Click the Betas tab.
- Select the dropdown menu.
- Click beta – SteamVR Beta Update.
- Click close. Your browser will automatically download the new version.
That’s it! Now you should be able to access SteamVR normally again by clicking None in step 8. To return to the beta version, just repeat these steps but click Beta instead of None.
Fixes for Steam VR Headset Not Detected
Ready to enjoy a thrilling VR experience with SteamVR but found out your headset is not recognized with an error code 108? That’s a bummer! Quite many few users are facing the same problem, but actually, it’s not difficult to fix. We’ve provided the six best methods for you to resolve the problem easily and quickly. Fixes to try:
Don’t try them all at once. Start by trying the ones that seem most promising first.
- Restart your headset, PC, and browser.
- Connectivity check
- Make sure your device drivers are up to date.
- Turn off USB power management.
- Run Steam as an administrator
- Sign up for the beta program
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How does VR work on phones?
Smartphone VR headsets use smartphone screens to give users a virtual reality experience. They put the phone screen right in front of the user’s face, using a set of special glasses to create a sense of depth and immersion.
How do I turn on VR mode on my iPhone?
- Open up Settings.
- Click on Safari.
- Go into Settings > Privacy & Security > Motion & Orientation Access.
You’ll now be able to see your VR through the magic screen!
How do I enable virtual reality (VR) on my Android phone?
Tap the Daydream button to open the Dashboard, then go to the All Settings menu and select Daydream and VR settings from there.
What does it mean when the device is in VR?
Virtual reality (VR) is creating a simulated environment using computers. It allows people to explore their surroundings from any angle they choose. Unlike traditional interface devices, VR puts the user inside the virtual world to provide an immersive experience.
What is the use of VR mode?
VR mode stands for video recording mode. It is one of two recording modes for DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD-RW/DVD+RW discs and is mainly useful when creating DVDs. The main benefit of VR mode is its ability to record videos faster than in normal mode.
How do I use VR on Steam?
- Open the Steam app.
- Download the SteamVR app.
- If you’re using a VR-compatible headset, connect it to your computer and wait for SteamVR.
- Once SteamVR is installed, go to the search box and type in the name of the game you’d like to play.
You’ll be able to purchase and release the game just like any other.
Can you play VR games without Steam?
It’s fairly well known that you can run SteamVR on its own without Steam, and most SteamVR users usually do this for any non-Steam games that have VR support.
What is SteamVR direct display mode?
Direct Mode lets VR applications run directly on the screen without going through the OS window manager.
There is no reason to extend the computer screen to the head-mounted display (HMD). When starting VR software, the graphics card will be used to connect to the display directly.
How do you change Steam Beta to normal?
- Clicking the Change link on the Account tab under Beta participation allows you to change the beta status for an account.
- To update to the latest beta version of Steam, select the Steam Beta Update option from the dropdown menu and then press OK.
- You will be asked to restart Steam. Please select the Restart Steam option.
How do I update steam VR?
- On the SteamVR Status Window, hover over any of the hardware icons for details on their current state.
- After selecting Update Firmware, choose to update the firmware.
- On the SteamVR App, click “Devices” > “Update device”.
What do you need for VR?
- You don’t need anything else besides a VR headset.
- Standalone VR headsets. You can use them without a computer or smartphone.
We hope this article was helpful to you. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us in the comments below.