Virtual Reality (VR) technology has come a long way in recent years, but the cost of a VR headset can still be quite high. Luckily, you can easily make your own VR headset using a cardboard box and a few other materials. This DIY project is a great way to get started with VR without breaking the bank.
How to Make a Cardboard VR Headset?
- Cardboard box
- Scissors or cutting knife
- Lenses (2x)
- Velcro strips (2x)
- Rubber band (1x)
- Cut the cardboard: Cut out two rectangles from the cardboard, each about 6.5 inches by 8.5 inches. These will form the front and back panels of the VR headset.
- Make the sides: Cut two more rectangles from the cardboard, each about 8.5 inches by 8.5 inches. These will form the sides of the headset.
- Create the lens holders: Cut two small circles from the cardboard, each about 2 inches in diameter. These will hold the lenses in place.
- Attach the lens holders: Glue the lens holders to the front panel of the headset, making sure they are centered.
- Attach the sides: Glue the sides to the front and back panels, making sure they are lined up evenly.
- Add the lenses: Insert the lenses into the lens holders and secure them with a drop of glue.
- Attach the Velcro strips: Stick one Velcro strip to the top of the front panel and one to the bottom of the back panel.
- Add the rubber band: Stretch a rubber band around the headset to hold your smartphone in place.
Making a Cardboard VR Headset – Detailed Information
Choosing the Right Cardboard Box
The type of cardboard box you use will determine the overall strength and durability of your VR headset. A thicker, sturdier box will provide better support, but it will also be more difficult to cut and shape.
A thinner box will be easier to work with, but it may not be as durable over time. Choose a box that strikes a balance between these two factors.
The lenses are a crucial component of your VR headset. They magnify the image on your smartphone screen, allowing you to experience a more immersive VR environment. There are many different types of lenses you can use, but it’s best to choose lenses that are specifically designed for VR headsets.
Securing Your Smartphone
The rubber band is used to hold your smartphone in place inside the headset. You may need to experiment with different sizes and types of rubber bands to find one that fits your phone securely without being too tight.
The Velcro strips are used to adjust the distance between the lenses and your smartphone, which helps to fine-tune the focus of the VR experience.
The Best Cardboard VR Headsets: A Guide to Affordable Virtual Reality
Virtual Reality (VR) technology has been around for decades, but it has only recently become accessible to the masses. One of the most affordable and accessible options for VR enthusiasts is cardboard VR headsets.
These headsets can be made at home with just a few materials and offer a low-cost entry point into the world of virtual reality.
Top Cardboard VR Headsets on the Market
- Google Cardboard
- Merge VR
- Mattel View-Master VR
- VR box
- Knoxlabs VR Headset
Google Cardboard was one of the first affordable VR headset options to hit the market and remains a popular choice today.
It’s simple to use and easy to assemble, making it a great choice for those new to VR. The headset is compatible with a wide range of smartphones, so you don’t have to worry about compatibility issues.
The Merge VR headset is another popular option for cardboard VR enthusiasts. It is made from a durable, soft foam material that is comfortable to wear for long periods of time. The headset is compatible with a range of smartphones and offers a great VR experience at an affordable price.
Mattel View-Master VR
The Mattel View-Master VR headset is a great option for families with children. The headset is designed with kids in mind and offers a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable VR experience. The headset is compatible with a range of smartphones and comes with a variety of educational and fun VR experiences.
The VR box is another popular option for cardboard VR enthusiasts. It is made from a durable cardboard material and offers a great VR experience at an affordable price. The headset is compatible with a wide range of smartphones and is easy to assemble.
Knoxlabs VR Headset
The Knoxlabs VR headset is a newer option on the market but is quickly becoming a popular choice for cardboard VR enthusiasts.
The headset is made from a durable cardboard material and offers a great VR experience at an affordable price. The headset is compatible with a wide range of smartphones and is easy to assemble.
Exploring the Best Things to do with Cardboard VR
Cardboard VR is an affordable and accessible way to experience virtual reality. Whether you’re new to VR or an experienced user, there is a wide range of activities and experiences available to enjoy with a cardboard VR headset.
- Games such as “VR Dungeon Knight,” “VR Classic Games,” and “VR Space Adventure” offer an immersive gaming experience.
- You can also explore interactive VR games that allow you to interact with the virtual world, such as “Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes” and “The Lab.”
Virtual Tours and Travel
- Explore famous landmarks and travel the world from the comfort of your own home with virtual tours and travel experiences.
- Take a virtual tour of the Palace of Versailles, the Great Wall of China, or the Colosseum in Rome.
Education and Training
- Learn new skills, such as cooking or photography, with VR educational experiences.
- Get hands-on training in fields such as surgery, firefighting, and piloting with VR training simulations.
Movies and TV Shows
- Watch movies and TV shows in a fully immersive VR environment with options like “Netflix VR” and “YouTube VR.”
- Enjoy live events and concerts in VR with experiences like “Next VR.”
Relaxation and Meditation
- Take a virtual vacation and relax in a virtual beach or forest environment.
- Try guided meditations and mindfulness exercises in VR with experiences like “Calm VR.”
Making your own cardboard VR headset is a fun and inexpensive way to get started with VR technology. With just a few materials and a little bit of time, you can create a functional headset that provides a great VR experience.
Whether you’re using it for gaming, watching videos, or exploring virtual worlds, a cardboard VR headset is a great way to dive into the world of VR.