Do you want to make a VR headset yourself?
Let’s see how you can do that.
How to Make a VR Headset?
Step 1 – Lenses
- To create a bi-convex lens, first find a water bottle with a good curve and then cut out a circular section from its top.
- Next, cut two sections from the circular section and place them back together to create a single piece of bi-convexity.
- Glue the straw into the hole at the top of the bottle. Make sure not to get any glue on the glass itself, but rather on the top of the bottle where the straw goes through.
- Once the adhesive has dried, wait until the next day when the sun is out and then use a clean cloth to wipe away any excess moisture from the lens. Then, carefully place the lens into the cap and secure it by gluing the two pieces together.
- Repeat this process for each of the lenses.
Step 2 – Cardboard
- Click here to download the headset template.
- Print the template out
- Glue the template onto your pizza or shoe boxes.
- Cut the template out using a Xacto knife.
Step 3 – Assembly
- Put the lenses you made earlier into the eye holes of the VR headset. Use the slits on the front of the box to position them securely inside the VR headset.
- Put your phone into the charging port and close the lid.
How to Make Your Own DIY Google Cardboard VR Headset?
Google Cardboards are small devices made from thin plastic sheets that fit inside smartphones. They allow people to experience VR without having to buy expensive equipment.
You can buy the whole kit for less than $20 and it includes detailed instructions. If your phone fits the design of the cardboard, then go ahead and get started!
You can also use the design for free and buy the necessary materials at local stores or in your own homes.
Creating your own VR headsets is quick, easy, and inexpensive. In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to create a Google Cardboard VR headset from scratch using cardboard, tape, and glue.
Making the Biconvex Lenses
What You Need
- Transparent plastic bottle
- Paper or Cardboard
- X-Acto knife
- Needle and syringe
- Make a cardboard template by drawing a circle 25mm across. Use this as a template for the lenses.
- Using the template, cut four circles out of the plastic bottles. Then use the templates to cut the circles slightly larger than the ones you’ve just made. Trim them down so they’re exactly the right size for your project.
- Put two of the transparent plastic lenses together. Use epoxy to seal the border between them. You now have your first biconcave lens.
- To fill the syringes with water, squeeze the lens gently. Remove any bubbles by pressing down on the lens.
- Once you remove all the bubbles from the lens, refill the lens with water again and seal any holes including the one for the syringe‘s needle.
- Let it dry.
- For your second camera, follow all steps from 1 to 7. Try out the new camera by taking pictures of small objects (such as stamps) and printing them out.
Points to Remember
For biconvex lenses, the magnifying power depends on the curvature they present. Lenses with larger curvature display lower magnifications.
Lenses with smaller diameters offer greater magnifications than larger-diameter lenses.
Let’s now create the base for the VR headset.
Making the Google Cardboard VR Headset Enclosure Box
What You Need
- Google Cardboard template
- Long bond paper
- Print the Google Cardboardd templatee in long-bonded paper
- Use scissors to trim the template.
- After cutting out the template from the cardboard, you need to glue them onto the cardboard. Carefully cut out the templates so they fit perfectly.
- Follow the markings or patterns on each piece of paper and fold the envelope mentioned in the specifications.
- Put the biconvex lens into the Google Cardboard headsets’ eyeshield slot. The slot serves to hold the lens securely in place.
Test the Google Cardboard VR Headset
You first need to download smartphone apps designed specifically for virtual reality (VR). There are plenty of VR apps available for both Android and iOS devices.
Once you’ve installed one, plug the headphones into your smartphone and see for yourself whether they work. If you experience good quality closeup videos from your device, then the headsets are working fine.
Where Can You Use this DIY VR Headset?
The Google Cardboard headset works well for most types of applications, including videos, games, and the like
For example, the Google Cardboard app already includes demos from Google Maps, which you can use by putting on the headset.
You can also improve your YouTube viewing experience by using this VR headgear.
For games, the Laper VR application for Google Cardboard is intended to be used via virtual reality.
It makes the gaming experience even better because players will be put through lots and lots of fun and exciting games that allow them to really get into character.
To enjoy a good 3D virtual reality experience at home, you can use VR Cinema for the Google Cardboard headset. This application allows you to convert MP4 files into a two-sided display format to further enhance the feeling of viewing videos.
You don’t necessarily need to buy anything special for using Google Cardboard VR; just use it as an excuse to go exploring.
There are lots of different methods for creating VR headsets. The Google Cardboard method so far has been the most affordable and easiest to use.
What If the Headset Gets Damaged?
You don’t really need to buy another headset because all of the items used in the video are things that you might already have lying around. They can easily be bought from any local electronics shop.
If you want to create your own VR headset, you’ll be able to determine if VR is right for you.
Doing things yourself is both a good way to save money and a fun bonding experience for friends and family.
You and your friends can enjoy creating your own VR headset and testing it out right away with fun applications.