Do you know how you can install SKSE for Skyrim VR?
Let’s find out.
How to Install SKSE for Skyrim VR?
- Extract the.zip file to your desktop.
- Inside you’ll see five different.skse files and three folders. Ignore the src and action bindings folders. Zip up the Data folder and name it SKSE_Data. Install it usually using your mod manager.
- After copying the five single files (all beginning with sksevr_), paste them into your Skyrim VR directory.
- Right-clicking the sksevr_loader.exefrom inside the Skyrim VR folder and creating a shortcut to the desktop; then adding Skyrim VR as an app to MO2 and launching it from there!
How to Mod Skyrim VR?
Bethesda has stated that they don’t support Skyrim VR modding, but that hasn’t stopped the modding scene from coming together to create Skyrim VR-specific modifications.
You can install any mod for Skyrim VR into your Skyrim VR installation. If you’d like to play with some new content, you can download mods from Steam Workshop.
It has been difficult to modify Skyrim VR initially but now it is easier because Nexus added support for it.
Using Mods in Skyrim VR
Most modding tools that support Skyrim Special Edition (SSE) also support Skyrim VR (Skyrim VR). However, it’d be best to begin by using modding tools designed specifically for VR.
So you can avoid mods that may not work well with VR — even if the mod doesn’t specifically state that VR installs can cause problems. There is an entire section of mods made just for VR.
Mods aren’t available for PlayStation 4 players. Only PC players can use them.
Enable Your Mods
First, ensure that Skyrim VR runs without any mods installed. Then, go through the beginning scene, creating your character, and play through Helgen until you’re released from the caves into the overworld.
It would be best if you knew beforehand whether there were any issues with the basic installation.
After you’ve confirmed that your VR headset works well with your computer, go into its settings and turn on the modding.
- Select “My Games” from your Documents folder.
- Open the “Skyrim VR” folder.
- Open SkyrimPreferences.ini by double-clicking it. You should see a text file open up.
- Type Launcher into the text box at the end of the page and press enter.
- Enter “bEnableFileSelection=1”
- Save the document and then close it.
You now know how to install mods for Skyrim VR.
Skyrim Script Extender
Before you start installing a lot of mods, install SKSE first. It’s a must-have for most modded installations and is installed outside of your mod installer.
Make sure you know where your Skyrim directory and Scripts folders are before you start. It’s located in the Steam\SteamApps\common\SkyrimVR folder by default.
You should install 7Zip before downloading SKSE or starting modding.
- Download the latest version of the game.
- Double-click the downloaded file to open it. Then right-click the extracted file and choose to save it in a new location.
- Open the extracted folder inside the zip file.
- Put the.dll and.exe files into the Skyrim VR directory. It should be inside the folder called Skyrim VR.
- Copy the .pex files in the Data\Scripts folder of the downloaded files to the Data\Scripts folder of the Skyrim installation.
- Make a shortcut for skse64_loader.exe from your Skyrim folder to your desktop. You’ll use it to launch the game instead of the standard loader.
To install SKSE into your game, unpack its contents into the Data folder inside your Skyrim directory.
Then, select it with your mod management program and click “install.” You can also drag and drop it into your game’s main menu and choose “deactivate” to deactivate it.
After installing SKSE, you’re ready to install other mods.
You can either install them using a mod manager (like Vortex) or manually. Most people heavily tend to use Vortex, which allows them to download the most popular Skyrim modifications.
You can also manually install mod packs. It’s important to know how to do so if you want to be completely in charge of your modded games.
Make sure you’ve made changes to the main Skyrim VR executable before trying to add any mod packs.
Manually Adding Skyrim VR Mods
Adding mods manually isn’t too hard. The main advantage of manual addons is that they don’t require a third-party program to install them. However, it is harder to change their load order if you do them manually.
You’ll need to repeat the mod loading procedure for every mod that you want to use. Do not attempt to load multiple mod files at once manually.
If you have your SteamVR folder in your Program Files (x86) folder, you should either copy it elsewhere or complete the steps below so that you can change its permissions.
- Right-clicking on the Skyrim folder should take you to its location inside Steam\SteamApps\Common\.
- Click Properties and then select the Security tab.
- Click “Edit” and then click “Users.”
- Click the checkbox next to “Full Control”.
- Click OK twice to confirm and then click OK once more to close the Properties window.
You can now install the mod packs.
- Download a file you want to install from anywhere.
- Click on the download button for the.zip file. Then right-click on the 7-Zip option and select “7-Zip”.
- Put the files into a folder named “mods”.
- Place the extracted files into the “Data” subdirectory within the “SkyrimVR” directory.
Once you’ve downloaded the mods, you’ll need to install them using any Skyrim launchers you prefer.
Vortex is the main mod installer and mod management tool for many Skyrim gamers. It can be downloaded from Skyrim Nexus Mods. Once it has been installed on your PC, you can use it for downloading mods.
Setting Up Vortex
- From the main page, click Games and Discovered.
- To manage Skyrim VR, click “Manage.”
- Click “Settings.”
- On the Interface tab, disable “Enable Mods When Enabled.”
- Click the “Mods” tab.
- The type where you’d like your mod to be stored in the Base Path box (without quotes). Include “skyrimvr” without quotes at the beginning.
- Click “Apply.”
- On the Download page, click the “Download
- Turn on “Handle” next to Mod Manager Download.
From Nexus Mods
You can just use Vortex to download mods directly from the Nexus Mod Manager.
- On the Files page for a module, you want to download, click the File button.
- Click “Mod Manager Download.”
- To install the mod, click “Install” on the Mod in the downloads tab.
- To enable the mod, click “Enable” in the Mods section.
From Other Sources
You can also download mod files from non-Nexus sites and add them to Vortex by using the Mod Manager.
- Click the “Download’ tab in Vortex.
- Unzip the mod files into their respective folders.
- Dropped the zip file into the box that says “Drop URL or file.”
- Install and activate as normal.
You should be able to start playing Skyrim VR mods if you stick to these instructions. If you run into any issues, let us know in our comment section below.