Are you having a hard time connecting the Samsung VR controller?
We are here to help you out.
How to Connect Samsung VR Controller?
To pair your controller
- To connect your smartphone to the headset, go to its settings and turn on Bluetooth. Then download the Oculus app.
- Tap More and then select Controllers.
- Insert two AAAs into the controller and then hold down the home button.
- Follow the on- screen instructions and touch the button to calibrate your controller
Connect Samsung Gear VR Controller via Bluetooth
You can connect the device via Bluetooth only on mobile phones running Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) or higher.
If you cannot pair your controller via Bluetooth, then use the Gear VR app called Oculus.
Connect by Bluetooth
- When you press and hold the controller’s HOME button, it enters Bluetooth Pair Mode. The LED will blink Red, Green, and Blue.
- Please connect the Gear VR controller by tapping “Gear VR Controller” from the list of available devices.
The indicator light will blink blue three times.
Note: The PIN code for the remote control is the four-digit code displayed on the mobile device’s Bluetooth settings screen. The code varies depending on the remote control.
- Connect your mobile phone to the Gear VR headset and put the Gear VR on your face.
Use the controller’s buttons and touchpad to control the Gear VR.
Connect with Oculus
If you cannot connect your headset via Bluetooth, please connect the headset using the Oculus app named ‘Oculus‘.
- To pair the controller with your device, press and release the Home button until the indicator lights up. It will blink red, green, and then blue.
- On the Gear VR App (Oculus) go to Settings > Controllers > Controller Menu > Tap the three bars and then choose the controller.
The indicator light will blink blue three times.
You can change the connection method between the controller and the Oculus service.
- Connect your mobile device to the headset and put on the headset
- Use the controller’s buttons and touchpad to control the Gear VR.
How to Set up Your Samsung Gear VR With Controller?
Samsung Gear VR is an accessory for your Samsung Galaxy phone that allows you to experience virtual worlds through your smartphone screen. It consists of two parts:
- Headset: Connects to your Galaxy phone, which serves as the Gear VR processing unit and displays.
- Controller: You use this handheld device to interact with and navigate experiences and games in VR.
This guide shows you how to set up your Galaxy phone so that it works with the Gear VR. You’ll also learn how to use the Gear VR controller.
Before You Get Started
Before you start installing your Gear VR hardware, check if your phone will be compatible with Gear VR.
There are six different Gear VR models available, and most are designed for use with Samsung smartphones running Android Lollipop 5 or later. These include:
- Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+
- Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+
- Galaxy Note8
- Galaxy Note FE (Fan Edition)
- Galaxy A8 and Galaxy A8+
- Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge
- Galaxy Note5
- Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge, and Galaxy S6 edge+
Samsung has released its own version of Google Cardboard called Gear VR. However, Gear VR is not compatible with older phones like the Galaxy S8/S9. Instead, you need a USB Type C Adapter to use Gear VR.
Attach the Straps to the Gear VR Headset
- Slide the wide strap into the rings on either side of the Gear VR head strap, then secure the Velcro tabs.
- To attach the second, narrow band of the Gear VR’s headband to the first, wide band, insert the hook on the bottom of the second band into the hole at the top of the first band. Then, snap it down securely.
- Slide the other side of the narrow strap through one of the loops in the wide strap, then attach the Velcro tab.
Connect Your Galaxy Device to the Gear VR Headset
- Remove the front panel from the Gear VR headset by opening the connectors on the front panel.
- If you’re using a Samsung Galaxy phone, follow these instructions to change the connection port on the wireless Bluetooth headphones.
- Slide the left connector to the unlocked position.
- Unplug the cable.
- Connector insertion.
- Slide the connector tab into the locked (closed) state.
- Plug your Samsung Galaxy S8+ into one of the two ports on the side of your Gear VR headset. Then use the other port to secure the device into place.
- When you hear the “voice” command, take off your Samsung phone from the Gear VR headset by pulling out the bottom part of the headset. You’re now ready to use Samsung Gear VR.
Install the Meta Quest App on Your Galaxy Device
- To download the Meta Quest application to your Galaxy device, select “Next.” Don’t download the version of the Metacritic mobile application for Android from the Google Play store: It isn’t compatible with Gear VR.
- Read the warning notice, agree, then select next.
- Next, click “Install.”
- On the Samsung GearVR Welcome Page, click Start.
- If you already have an Oculus account, log into it now or create a new one. If there are any software updates available, go ahead and update them right away.
- Next, turn on Bluetooth on your phone. Confirm the device permissions for allowing Bluetooth.
Pair the Gear VR Controller With Your Headset
The Gear VR controller has two AAA batteries.
- On the Meta Quest app, click More (three horizontal lines) and then choose Controllers.
- Insert the two AA batteries that came with the GearVR controller.
- Press and hold the “start” button on the controller.
- When the LED on top of the remote control turns blue, press Pair.
Calibrate the Gear VR Controller
- To calibrate your controller, select next.
- Hold the controller in your right hand, and then trace an “8” in the sky.
- Choose between left-handed or right-handed controllers depending on which way you’d prefer to hold them. You can switch between using one hand and two hands at any point by opening up the controller settings.
- Click OK. Once the pairing has been completed, the LED on the headset controller will turn green, and the “Gear VR Controller paired” message will appear on your phone.
Once the Gear VR controller setup is complete, your Samsung phone will load the Gear VR app store. You’ll then connect your phone to the Gear VR headset and start using it.
You use the controller to navigate the game, play games, and interact with other players—all in VR.
Once you’ve got your Gear VR headset and controllers, you’re ready to start exploring the world of VR.
Feel free to ask if you have any questions.