In the world of online gaming, milliseconds can make or break a victory. Therefore, having the right WiFi gaming router is the secret weapon every pro gamer covets.
We’ve compiled a list of the 5 best Wi-Fi gaming routers that will take your gaming experience to the next level. These routers are designed to provide fast and reliable connections for all your gaming needs.
While most of these gaming routers are equipped with built-in firewalls, we strongly recommend using Surfshark while gaming to safeguard your online privacy and security while gaming.
So, without further ado, let’s take a look at the top Wi-Fi gaming routers that made the cut:
With Wi-Fi speeds reaching 5400 Mbps, this Tri-Band router ensures smooth 4K/8K streaming, immersive AR/VR gaming, and quick downloads. Fueled by a 1.7 GHz Quad-Core CPU and equipped with USB 3.0 for faster transfers, this router is a practical option.
It also features solid parental controls and essential network security tools, making it a sensible pick for users seeking a future-proof mainstream Wi-Fi router. On the downside, it lacks high-speed networking ports, and some advanced features require a HomeShield Pro plan subscription.
- Future-proof Wi-Fi 6E technology
- Strong throughput performance and wide signal coverage
- Strong parental controls and basic network security tools
- Easy to install and manage
- Lack of high-speed networking ports
- You will need to pay a HomeShield Pro plan subscription to access certain features
While excelling in various aspects, particularly as a balanced mesh system for gaming, it boasts a tri-band configuration supporting Wi-Fi 6 and Zigbee. The dual-band AX3000 eero 6+ ensures ample speed for modern devices, showcasing a 160MHz channel that optimizes connections in congested settings.
Despite delivering consistent performance, it encounters challenges with band-steering and signal routing which seldom impacts its average speeds. Overall, the Eero 6+ serves as a worthy upgrade for PC gamers, providing affordable Wi-Fi 6 advancements for larger homes with numerous devices.
- Consistent speeds for gigabit networks
- 160MHz channel support for improved performance
- Matter support and built-in Zigbee hub for smart home integration
- Compatible with Alexa for voice controls
- No option to limit Eero’s data collection
- Routing to the wrong extender can cause slight slowdowns
With a powerful 4804 Mbps (5 GHz Gaming) + 4804 Mbps (5 GHz) + 918 Mbps (2.4 GHz) speed configuration, this router delivers Wi-Fi speeds exceeding 10 Gbps. Enhanced by a Game Accelerator feature that optimizes gaming streams, it ensures an immersive gaming experience.
Despite its high price tag and mixed performance, the router caters to gamers seeking complete control over their gaming bandwidth.
That said, its large size, inflexible antennae, and high price point may be drawbacks for some users.
- Tri-band signal and Wi-Fi 6 support.
- Highly customizable interface that allows users to tweak settings to their liking
- Game Accelerator that detects and optimizes gaming streams
- 8 Gigabit Ethernet ports allow for multiple wired connections
- High price tag
- Large size and inflexible antennae
Engineered with a triple-core 1.5GHz processor, Beamforming+, MU-MIMO, and OFDMA technologies, this router takes gaming performance to new heights. The processor enhances overall processing power, while Beamforming+ and MU-MIMO optimize signal strength and bandwidth allocation, respectively.
OFDMA technology further enhances efficiency, allowing for simultaneous communication with multiple devices, a crucial factor for multiplayer gaming.
However, it’s worth noting that despite its steep price point, it lacks built-in online protection.
- Detailed parental controls and geo-filtering
- Advanced quality of service to prioritize gaming traffic
- VPN client to protect network identity and prevent DDoS attacks
- Allows for 6 simultaneous streams at a time
- The setup may seem complex for people who aren’t super tech-savvy
- The signal starts losing strength beyond 50 feet of distance.
Armed with dual-band WiFi 6, it supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, providing fast and stable connections for gaming. AiMesh support facilitates seamless integration with other ASUS devices for extensive home coverage.
Its 4×4 5G connection with 160 MHz bandwidth guarantees swift wireless connections, complemented by features like Mobile Game Mode for low-latency gaming.
The router’s 2.5G LAN, WAN, 4 Gigabit LAN ports, USB 3.0 port, and AiProtection Pro contribute to its flexibility, speed, and enhanced security. Overall, the ASUS RT-AX86U Pro excels in build quality, powerful hardware, and advanced features, making it a top choice for gamers looking for a high-performance router.
- VLAN support
- Sturdy build
- Has advanced security features
- Does not feature Aura RGB lighting unlike Asus ROG AC2900
As we explored each contender, it’s evident that these routers aren’t just about raw speed. From the future-ready TP-Link AXE5400 to the sturdy ASUS RT-AX86U Pro, each one brings something special to the table. But here’s the secret sauce: always use a VPN while gaming for that extra layer of privacy and security.
Choose your router wisely and let your victories be dictated by skill, not connectivity.